Thursday, March 10, 2011

This is a selfish blog

After the Christchurch earthquake, I realised how many of the small businesses that I admire and delight in are based in Canterbury. My life would be poorer without them.

Below, I plug some favourite Canterbury internet-order businesses.

If you know of other operational mail-order small businesses there that you want to support, email me their names and websites (or other details) or leave a comment on this post about them.

Soon I'll lay out a list on a separate page - maybe interview or profile some too.


Four wonderful Canterbury internet-order enterprises

Carnivorous Plant Nurseries
Ross, based in Marshlands, grows many species of spectacular carnivorous plants and ships them all round the South Island, and often up to the lower North Island. I've had his plants thriving on our windowsills for over 7 years now.


Heavenly Wools
Kate, at the edge of the Canterbury Plains, dyes gorgeous merino wool for felting and spinning. I love her colours. She's also just donated some beautiful red and black merino that she made up specially when I told her I was spinning for a Canterbury fundraiser!


Zigzag
This is a fantastic craft supplies business. I buy Angelina for spinning from them, but they have much, much more. One specialty is their polymer clay supplies -  fimo, dukit and many more oven fired clays and related supplies (See Facebook and their polymer clay website)

2dye4 is Zigzag'a paints and dyes arm. You can see it on Facebook, or visit its website - showing a huge range of fabric dyes and paints.


Southern Alpacas Stud
No, I've never bought an alpaca, but I have bought these guys' alpaca fibre for spinning. It's gorgeously soft. They sell it raw or carded - and they also sell alpaca yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment